Thursday, March 4, 2010

Next week, I'll detail my descent in to craziness

I've been thinking about this for a while.

I'm almost afraid to say it too loudly. But I'm thinking of becoming a morning person.

If you know me via this blog or IRL you know that I am so ridiculously far from that right now that I might as well have said I'm thinking of becoming a man. It's possible, but it's going to take a lot of effort on my part.

I hate everyone in the morning. If you talk to me before I'm ready to hear a human voice I'll slap you. I'm that kind of evil.

But heres the thing, as much as it pains me to think this, I already am forced to be up at o'dark thirty . My work day starts at 7:30 a.m. which means I do get up early. Sure when I actually get to work, I'm usually makeupless, and dressed in the closest thing to pajamas and I hate it. But I do it.

Why am I contemplating this life change you ask ? The reality is that I need to start working out. Not just for weight loss, but for my personal health too. I'm no spring chicken and I'm told things only get harder as you get older. And after an 8 hour work day, a 1 hour commute, cooking, homework, picking out clothes for the next day, reading with kids, putting kids to bed, dishes and dog walking I'm exhausted and simply lack the will to workout.

So the other week as I looked at my big jiggly booty in the mirror an idea came to me.

Why not just work out in the morning ?!

My house is quiet, I won't have to contend with well meaning children that want to talk to me while I'm panting and sweating like a beast.

If I can manage to drag myself out of bed a mere hour earlier I can get in a 1/2 hour workout, shower,shampoo,shine and then I may even have more endorphins flowing which will surely help me to endure the work day.

Once this new plan is in place my hope is that when the work day is done, I won't have that awful feeling of "Shit, I didn't work out again tonight. I think my batwings have gotten droopier"

So we'll see. I've decided I'm going to document it. I can't not. Because I'll need a written record to show the doctors what drove me off the deep end.

8 comments:

Karen said...

HOLY SHIT! You are singin' my song. I seriously just had this same conversation with myself. I HATE mornings, but when else will I exercise? The answer is, um, never. Ever. My plan is to get up and walk. Pretty simple, right? We live in a fairly safe neighborhood and are surrounded by beautiful historic homes/scenery. There are no excuses left in my arsenal. None. (sigh) I wish you luck in your endeavors. I certainly need some. Keep us posted.
P.S. I'm gnawing on a metric ton of veggies right now. I'm full, but I still want a cheeseburger. Really bad.

The Mommy-Files said...

You are so funny girl! I'm not really a morning person either...except my kids have caused me to be one - lol! I'm trying to establish a morning routine and should start working out as well.

More power to ya - lol!

Anonymous said...

My kids too have made me a morning person, but I would like to fit some sort of work out into my day as well. Look forward to reading more posts about this.

Sarah said...

You may lead to inspiring change over in my neck of the woods if you pull this off. I've thought about going to the gym or yoga before the break of dawn and there is NO. WAY. IN. HELL. that I can get out of bed before 6:30 right now, which I know is still later than you're up. And, honestly, I'm not sure there's anything quite epic enough right now for me to change that.

Virtualsprite said...

I hear you. I am so not a morning person. But I, too, have considered a descent into darkness to get up early and bust the jiggly from my ass. So far, I've only done it on the weekends, but I've done it and I've lived to tell.

I wish you the best of luck in this. I'm right there with you, although I'm making time on my way home from work. You're a better person than me for considering the morning. :-)

Leslie said...

Good luck! I have tried this on multiple occasions only to find out time and again that I lack the energy in the morning to work out. I can get up early, I can putter around the house, I cannot WORK OUT. I wish you the morning-workout-strength required to get this done!

VWC said...

I fully support this effort. Would it help if I call you (from the East Coast) when I wake up?

Only kidding. Please don't slap me...

carrie said...

I am soooo not a morning person either, but I commend your efforts! Maybe you'll inspire me...stranger things have happened! ;)